Claflin University is a private, historically black university located in Orangeburg, South Carolina. Claflin was founded in 1869 by Methodist missionaries and named after Lee Claflin, a prominent Massachusetts philanthropist who provided the funds for the school’s establishment.
Claflin is a liberal arts university that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in a range of disciplines, including business, education, sciences, and humanities. Claflin has a strong commitment to community service and social justice, with a number of programs and initiatives focused on promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Claflin University is known for its commitment to academic excellence, with a rigorous curriculum and a focus on developing critical thinking skills in students. The university offers more than 35 undergraduate majors and four graduate programs, and its faculty members are dedicated to providing students with a challenging and engaging educational experience.
It’s a good idea to look at these 20 interesting facts about Claflin University to know more about this historically black university.
- Claflin University is the oldest historically black institution of higher education in South Carolina.
- The university was founded in 1869 by Methodist missionaries.
- Claflin was named after Lee Claflin, a prominent Massachusetts philanthropist who provided the funds for the school’s establishment.
- The university’s motto is “We Live to Serve.”
- Claflin is a member of the United Negro College Fund.
- The university is ranked as one of the top regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report.
- Claflin has a student-to-faculty ratio of 14:1, which allows for personalized attention and support for students.
- The university offers more than 35 undergraduate majors and four graduate programs.
- Claflin has a strong commitment to community service and social justice, with a number of programs and initiatives focused on promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- The university has a social justice institute and a center for civic engagement.
- Claflin has a diverse student body, with students from more than 20 states and several countries.
- The university has a number of research opportunities for students, including undergraduate research programs and partnerships with local businesses and organizations.
- Claflin has a number of notable alumni, including civil rights leader and educator Septima Clark and former South Carolina governor Jim Hodges.
- The university has a successful athletic program, with championship-winning teams in basketball, volleyball, and track and field.
- Claflin is home to the James E. and Candace W. Clyburn Center for Interdisciplinary Engagement in STEM Education, which provides resources and support for students studying science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
- The university has a student-run radio station, WSSB-FM.
- Claflin has a campus garden, which provides fresh produce for the university’s cafeteria.
- The university has a number of partnerships with local businesses and organizations, including partnerships with AT&T, IBM, and the South Carolina Department of Education.
- Claflin has a marching band, known as the “Mighty Marching Panthers.”
- The university has a gospel choir, which has performed at several events across the state.
Claflin University is a historically black institution that has played a significant role in South Carolina’s higher education landscape for over 150 years. With a strong commitment to community service, social justice, and sustainability, Claflin provides students with a well-rounded education that prepares them for success in their careers and in their communities. With a diverse student body, top-ranked academic programs, and a thriving campus culture, Claflin is an excellent choice for students looking for a supportive and engaging college experience. The university’s motto, “We Live to Serve,” reflects its commitment to making a positive difference in the world, and its alumni have gone on to make significant contributions to society in a variety of fields.