Morehead State University (MSU) is a public university located in Morehead, Kentucky. It was founded in 1887 as Morehead Normal School and has since grown to become a comprehensive university offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs. MSU is known for its strong programs in fields such as education, nursing, business, and music.
The campus of Morehead State University spans over 700 acres and features modern facilities such as the Adron Doran University Center, the Claypool-Young Art Building, and the Space Science Center. MSU is home to approximately 10,000 students and offers over 135 degree programs, including Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees. The university is also committed to providing affordable education to its students, with tuition rates below the national average.
MSU has a strong commitment to research, innovation, and creativity. The university has been recognized for its research in fields such as space science, music, and education. In addition, the university is home to the Kentucky Folk Art Center, which features one of the largest collections of contemporary Kentucky art in the world.
Morehead State University also boasts a vibrant campus life, with over 150 student organizations, NCAA Division I athletics, and a variety of cultural events throughout the year. The university’s location in the heart of the Daniel Boone National Forest also provides ample opportunities for outdoor recreation, including hiking, camping, and fishing.
Here are 28 interesting facts about Morehead State University to give us more information about this public university.
- Morehead State University was founded in 1887 as Morehead Normal School with an initial enrollment of just 63 students.
- MSU’s campus spans over 700 acres, making it one of the largest university campuses in Kentucky.
- The university offers over 135 degree programs across five academic colleges.
- MSU is located in Morehead, Kentucky, a small town nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.
- MSU has a student-to-faculty ratio of 16:1, allowing for personalized attention and small class sizes.
- The university has over 10,000 students enrolled, with approximately 80% coming from Kentucky.
- MSU is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference and offers 16 NCAA Division I sports teams.
- MSU is home to the Kentucky Folk Art Center, which houses one of the largest collections of contemporary Kentucky art in the world.
- The university is also home to the Space Science Center, which is a hub for space research and exploration.
- The Space Science Center operates the 21-meter radio telescope, one of the largest and most sensitive in the world.
- MSU offers an array of undergraduate research opportunities, including the Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program.
- MSU is a designated military-friendly university, providing resources and support for veterans and active-duty military personnel.
- The university has a strong commitment to sustainability and has implemented a number of eco-friendly initiatives on campus.
- MSU is one of the few universities in the United States to offer a degree in Space Science.
- The university offers a variety of study abroad programs, with options in over 60 countries around the world.
- MSU’s music program is nationally recognized and offers degrees in areas such as performance, education, and composition.
- The university has a strong focus on experiential learning, with opportunities for internships, co-ops, and service learning.
- MSU offers a number of online degree programs, including a fully online MBA.
- The university has a diverse student body, with students from over 35 countries represented on campus.
- MSU has a strong commitment to community service and offers a number of volunteer opportunities for students.
- The university is home to the Rowan County Arts Center, which features exhibits and performances by local artists and musicians.
- MSU offers a variety of academic support services, including tutoring, academic coaching, and disability services.
- The university has a modern recreation and wellness center, featuring a gym, pool, and fitness classes.
- MSU offers a variety of scholarships and financial aid options for students.
- The university has a thriving Greek life community, with over 20 fraternities and sororities represented on campus.
- MSU has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, with a number of initiatives and programs dedicated to promoting equity and social justice.
- The university has a comprehensive career services center, offering resources and support for students and alumni.
- The university offers a variety of arts and cultural events throughout the year, including concerts, plays, and art exhibitions.
Morehead State University offers a diverse and dynamic educational experience in a beautiful natural setting. With its strong academic programs, commitment to research and innovation, and emphasis on community service and experiential learning, MSU prepares its students for success in their chosen fields and beyond. The university’s vibrant campus life and rich cultural offerings provide students with opportunities to explore their interests and develop lifelong friendships and connections. Whether pursuing a degree in space science, nursing, education, music, or another area, students at Morehead State University can expect to receive a high-quality education and gain the skills and knowledge they need to achieve their goals.