Manhattan College, located in the Bronx, New York City, New York, is a private, Roman Catholic liberal arts college with a rich history dating back to its founding in 1853. The college’s roots are deeply tied to the Lasallian Catholic tradition, emphasizing quality education and community service.
Manhattan College offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and graduate programs in various disciplines, including engineering, business, science, education, liberal arts, and more. Known for its commitment to academic excellence, the college provides students with a strong foundation in their chosen fields, as well as opportunities for research, internships, and experiential learning.
The campus is situated in a picturesque location along the Hudson River, providing stunning views and a peaceful atmosphere for learning. Manhattan College’s state-of-the-art facilities, including laboratories, classrooms, and a modern library, offer students the resources they need to excel academically.
One of the distinctive aspects of Manhattan College is its dedication to Lasallian values, which include a focus on community, service, and social justice. The college encourages students to engage in volunteer work and service-learning projects, reflecting its commitment to educating responsible and compassionate global citizens.
Here are 39 interesting facts about Manhattan College to give more information about this college.
- Manhattan College, founded in 1853, is a private Roman Catholic liberal arts college located in the Riverdale neighborhood of the Bronx, New York City.
- The college is affiliated with the Lasallian Catholic tradition, following the teachings of St. John Baptist de La Salle, who focused on providing quality education to all.
- Manhattan College offers a diverse array of undergraduate and graduate programs across various disciplines, including business, engineering, science, education, liberal arts, and more.
- The campus is nestled along the picturesque Hudson River, providing students with breathtaking views of the surrounding natural beauty.
- The college’s Lasallian tradition emphasizes values such as community, service, and social justice, contributing to a strong sense of ethical responsibility among its students.
- Manhattan College is home to the O’Malley Library, a modern facility housing a vast collection of books, journals, and digital resources to support academic research.
- One of the college’s most renowned programs is the School of Engineering, known for its emphasis on experiential learning and practical applications of engineering principles.
- The college is recognized for its strong business programs, with a focus on preparing students for careers in finance, management, marketing, and more.
- Manhattan College is home to the De La Salle Christian Brothers community, who are an integral part of the college’s identity and educational mission.
- The college’s Jasper Hall is a state-of-the-art residence hall offering modern amenities and comfortable living spaces for students.
- Manhattan College’s Gaelic Park is a popular venue for Gaelic games, cultural events, and sports competitions.
- The college’s mascot is a green and white dog named “Timothy J. Dog,” often seen at sporting events and campus activities.
- Students at Manhattan College have access to a wide range of clubs and organizations, including academic clubs, cultural groups, and service-oriented clubs.
- The college is a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) and competes in NCAA Division I sports.
- Draddy Gymnasium is a prominent venue for basketball games and other athletic events.
- Manhattan College boasts a strong tradition of success in men’s basketball, with a passionate fan base known as the “6th Borough.”
- The student-run newspaper, “The Quadrangle,” provides news, commentary, and a platform for student journalism.
- The college has a rich history of alumni who have made significant contributions in various fields, including politics, business, and the arts.
- The annual “Springfest” is a popular event featuring live music, games, and outdoor festivities that celebrate the arrival of spring.
- Manhattan College encourages students to participate in internships, co-op programs, and other experiential learning opportunities to gain practical experience in their chosen fields.
- The college’s Center for Career Development assists students in finding internships, job opportunities, and career guidance.
- Manhattan College’s study abroad programs allow students to explore diverse cultures and gain global perspectives.
- The college’s proximity to New York City provides students with access to a vibrant cultural scene, internship opportunities, and a wide range of career options.
- The Raymond W. Kelly ’63 Student Commons is a hub for student activities, dining, and socializing on campus.
- Manhattan College places a strong emphasis on sustainability and has implemented eco-friendly initiatives on campus.
- The Lasallian Women and Gender Resource Center promotes gender equity and provides support for women on campus.
- The college offers programs in environmental studies and engineering to address contemporary environmental challenges.
- Manhattan College’s Jasper Open House is an annual event that welcomes prospective students and their families to explore the campus and learn about academic programs.
- The college’s Manhattan College Players perform theatrical productions, showcasing the talents of students interested in drama and the performing arts.
- Students are encouraged to engage in community service and volunteer work through the Lasallian Outreach Volunteer Experience (L.O.V.E.) program.
- Manhattan College’s commitment to social justice is reflected in various initiatives and programs that address issues of inequality and injustice.
- The college hosts an annual Founders’ Day celebration to commemorate its founding and honor its Lasallian heritage.
- The Edward J. Kiernan Center for Sports Medicine provides comprehensive healthcare services to student-athletes and promotes wellness on campus.
- Manhattan College’s School of Education and Health offers programs in teacher education, counseling, and health sciences.
- The college’s religious studies program explores diverse faith traditions and encourages critical thinking about spirituality.
- Manhattan College’s Jasper Summer Research Scholars program allows students to engage in research projects under the guidance of faculty mentors.
- The college’s Jasper Hall Student Commons is home to a variety of dining options, including cafes and a dining hall.
- Manhattan College’s commitment to academic excellence and ethical leadership continues to shape its graduates into responsible and compassionate individuals who make a positive impact on society.
- The college’s Lasallian values, combined with its dedication to academic rigor and community engagement, make it a unique and respected institution of higher learning in the Bronx and beyond.
Manhattan College, with its enduring commitment to academic excellence, Lasallian values, and community engagement, stands as a beacon of higher education in the heart of the Bronx. From its picturesque campus along the Hudson River to its innovative programs in engineering, business, and the arts, the college nurtures the intellectual and ethical development of its students. Manhattan College’s strong emphasis on experiential learning, sustainability, and social justice instills in its graduates not only the knowledge and skills needed for successful careers but also a profound sense of responsibility to address the challenges facing our world. As the college continues to evolve and adapt to the changing needs of society, it remains dedicated to its mission of producing ethical leaders and compassionate individuals who make a positive impact on their communities and beyond. Manhattan College’s legacy of academic rigor, inclusivity, and Lasallian tradition continues to shape the future, one inspired student at a time.