Queens College, part of the City University of New York (CUNY) system, is a prominent public college located in the borough of Queens, New York City. Established in 1937, it has a rich history of providing high-quality education and fostering a diverse and inclusive community. Queens College is renowned for its academic excellence and commitment to accessibility.
The college offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs across various disciplines, including liberal arts, sciences, social sciences, and professional studies. Queens College is known for its strong faculty, many of whom are accomplished scholars and experts in their fields, providing students with a top-tier education.
Queens College’s campus is located on 80 acres in Flushing, Queens, and features modern facilities, including state-of-the-art laboratories, libraries, and cultural centers. The college’s diverse student body reflects the vibrant multiculturalism of Queens and New York City as a whole.
One of the distinctive aspects of Queens College is its commitment to affordability and accessibility. The college has a long-standing tradition of providing affordable education to residents of New York City, making higher education attainable for a wide range of students. Queens College’s mission is deeply rooted in promoting social mobility and academic excellence, making it a valuable institution within the CUNY system and the broader landscape of higher education in the United States.
What about Queens College interesting facts? Here are 44 interesting facts about Queens College.
- Queens College (QC) was founded in 1937 and is located in Flushing, Queens, New York City.
- The college is one of the senior colleges in the CUNY system.
- QC’s motto is “Discimus ut serviamus,” which means “We learn so that we may serve” in Latin.
- The college offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs across various fields of study.
- QC is renowned for its strong faculty, including Pulitzer Prize winners, Guggenheim Fellows, and other accomplished scholars.
- The college has a diverse student body, with students representing over 150 countries.
- Queens College has consistently been recognized for its affordability and value in higher education.
- The college’s campus features modern facilities, including the newly renovated Science Building.
- QC’s library, the Rosenthal Library, provides extensive resources and support for research.
- The college’s athletic teams are known as the Knights and compete in NCAA Division II.
- QC’s mascot is a knight named “Knightro.”
- The college’s music program is highly regarded, with a focus on classical, jazz, and contemporary music.
- Queens College is known for its vibrant cultural scene, hosting concerts, art exhibitions, and lectures.
- The Aaron Copland School of Music is one of the college’s prestigious programs.
- QC is home to the Louis Armstrong House Museum, a historic site dedicated to the jazz legend.
- The college’s art gallery, the Godwin-Ternbach Museum, features diverse exhibitions.
- Queens College offers a variety of study abroad programs for students to explore other cultures.
- QC’s School of Education is known for its teacher preparation programs.
- The college’s School of Business provides undergraduate and graduate degrees in business-related fields.
- QC has a strong commitment to sustainability and environmental responsibility.
- The college offers online courses and distance education options for flexibility in learning.
- Queens College actively participates in community engagement and volunteer opportunities.
- The college’s Pre-Medical and Health Professions Advisory Program assists students pursuing careers in healthcare.
- QC’s School of Math and Natural Sciences provides a strong foundation in STEM fields.
- The college’s Aaron Copland School of Music hosts numerous performances and events.
- Queens College has a strong focus on diversity and inclusivity, with numerous student organizations and cultural centers.
- The college’s Student Association (SGA) represents student interests and organizes campus events.
- QC’s School of Earth and Environmental Sciences offers programs in geology, environmental science, and more.
- The college’s Honors Program provides an enriched academic experience for high-achieving students.
- Queens College is home to the Asian/American Center, promoting the study and appreciation of Asian American cultures.
- The college’s Athletics and Recreation Center provides fitness and sports facilities for students.
- QC’s Barry Commoner Center for Health and the Environment focuses on environmental health issues.
- The college’s Center for Career Engagement and Internships supports students in finding internships and job opportunities.
- Queens College is part of the CUNY Athletic Conference and competes in various sports.
- The college’s Summer Session offers a wide range of courses for students to catch up or get ahead.
- QC’s Black Studies program explores African and African American cultures, history, and social issues.
- The college’s Drama, Theatre, and Dance program produces theatrical productions and showcases.
- Queens College has a vibrant LGBTQ+ community, with resources and support services.
- The college’s Study Abroad Office helps students plan international experiences.
- QC’s Office of Global Education & Partnerships fosters international collaborations and exchanges.
- Queens College continues to be a hub of academic excellence, cultural diversity, and community engagement, enriching the lives of its students and contributing to the cultural vibrancy of New York City.
- The college’s commitment to accessible education and inclusivity remains at the forefront of its mission.
- QC’s location in the heart of Queens allows students to explore the diverse neighborhoods and cultures of the borough.
- Queens College’s legacy of fostering intellectual growth, cultural enrichment, and social responsibility underscores its enduring impact in the world of higher education.
Queens College stands as a vibrant and inclusive educational institution in the heart of one of the most diverse boroughs in New York City. With a history rooted in accessibility, academic excellence, and a commitment to social responsibility, QC continues to be a beacon of higher education. Its diverse and dynamic student body, distinguished faculty, and commitment to cultural enrichment create an environment where students not only gain knowledge but also embrace a rich tapestry of cultures and ideas. As a part of the City University of New York system, Queens College plays a pivotal role in providing affordable and top-tier education to students from all backgrounds. It is an institution that prepares graduates to excel academically, contribute to their communities, and embrace the ever-changing global landscape. Queens College remains a testament to the transformative power of education and the values of inclusivity and service that shape its mission.