Central State University is a public, historically black university located in Wilberforce, Ohio. It was founded in 1887 as a land-grant college and is one of only two historically black universities in Ohio. The university offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in a variety of fields.
Central State University has a diverse student body, with students from over 40 states and several countries. The university is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive learning environment that prepares students for success in a global society.
The university is known for its strong emphasis on research and innovation. It is home to several research centers and institutes, including the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, the Center for Nanobiotechnology, and the Ohio Center of Excellence in Product Innovation and Manufacturing.
Central State University also has a strong athletic program, with NCAA Division II teams in basketball, football, track and field, and other sports. The university has a long history of athletic success and has produced several professional athletes, including NFL Hall of Famer Paul Warfield.
Here are 21 interesting facts about Central State University to give you more information about this university.
- Central State University was originally founded in 1887 as the Combined Normal and Industrial Department within Wilberforce University.
- In 1941, the department became a separate entity known as Wilberforce State College, and in 1965, it was renamed Central State University.
- Central State University is one of the only two historically black universities in the state of Ohio, the other being Wilberforce University.
- The university is a member of the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, which is a national organization that supports historically black colleges and universities.
- The university has been designated as a Center of Excellence in Cyber Defense Education by the National Security Agency.
- Central State University offers undergraduate degree programs in over 30 majors, including business, education, engineering, and agriculture.
- The university also offers graduate degree programs in education, business, and sustainable development.
- The university’s marching band, the Invincible Marching Marauders, has performed at several notable events, including the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade and the Tournament of Roses Parade.
- Central State University is home to the National Afro-American Museum and Cultural Center, which is dedicated to preserving and sharing the history and culture of African Americans.
- The university has a strong athletic program, with NCAA Division II teams in basketball, football, track and field, and other sports.
- The university’s mascot is a marauder, which is a type of medieval warrior.
- Central State University has a number of student organizations and clubs, including a gospel choir, a debate team, and a chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers.
- The university has a number of research centers and institutes, including the Ohio Center of Excellence in Product Innovation and Manufacturing and the Center for Nanobiotechnology.
- The university has a strong commitment to sustainability and has implemented several environmentally friendly practices on campus, such as energy-efficient lighting and a recycling program.
- The university has a comprehensive counseling center that provides mental health services to students, including individual counseling, group therapy, and crisis intervention.
- The university has a marching band scholarship program that provides financial support to students who participate in the Invincible Marching Marauders.
- Central State University has a campus ministry program that provides spiritual support and guidance to students of all faiths.
- The university has a Center for Teaching and Learning that provides professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
- Central State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the Ohio Association of Colleges for Teacher Education.
- The university has a bookstore on campus that sells textbooks, school supplies, and Central State University apparel and merchandise.
- The university has a student success center that provides academic support services, such as tutoring and study skills workshops.
Central State University is a historically black university located in Wilberforce, Ohio that is dedicated to providing students with a high-quality education and a supportive learning environment. With a strong emphasis on research and innovation, a commitment to sustainability, and a diverse student body, Central State University is a unique and valuable institution that prepares students for success in a global society. Whether you are interested in pursuing a degree in business, education, engineering, or another field, Central State University offers a range of undergraduate and graduate programs that can help you achieve your goals and build a successful career.