Elizabeth City State University (ECSU) is a public historically black university located in Elizabeth City, North Carolina, USA. It was founded in 1891 as a teacher training school for African Americans and has since expanded its offerings to include a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs. ECSU is part of the University of North Carolina system and has a diverse student body of approximately 2,000 students.
ECSU offers a range of undergraduate programs in fields such as business, education, science, mathematics, and technology. The university also has a graduate program in education and offers online degree programs in business administration, criminal justice, and interdisciplinary studies. Students have access to a variety of resources and services, including academic support, career services, and student organizations.
In addition to its academic offerings, ECSU is known for its strong commitment to community service and engagement. The university partners with local organizations and government agencies to provide students with opportunities to make a positive impact in the community. ECSU also has a rich athletic tradition and competes in NCAA Division II sports as a member of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association.
ECSU has a beautiful campus that features a mix of historic and modern buildings. The university is located in a small town in northeastern North Carolina, providing students with a peaceful and supportive learning environment. With its commitment to academic excellence, community engagement, and student success, Elizabeth City State University is a great choice for students seeking a high-quality education in a welcoming and inclusive community.
What about ECSU interesting facts? Here are 23 interesting facts about Elizabeth City State University.
- ECSU was founded in 1891 as a teacher training school for African Americans.
- The university is part of the University of North Carolina (UNC) system.
- ECSU is one of only two historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) in the UNC system.
- The university’s mascot is a Viking named Victor E. Viking.
- The university offers undergraduate programs in fields such as business, education, science, mathematics, and technology.
- ECSU also has a graduate program in education.
- The university has a 14-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio.
- ECSU is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- The university has a strong commitment to community service and engagement.
- ECSU partners with local organizations and government agencies to provide students with opportunities to make a positive impact in the community.
- The university has a number of student organizations and clubs, including fraternities and sororities.
- ECSU has a rich athletic tradition and competes in NCAA Division II sports as a member of the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association.
- The university has won multiple CIAA championships in men’s basketball, football, and track and field.
- ECSU’s campus features a mix of historic and modern buildings.
- The university’s oldest building, Lane Hall, was built in 1893 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The campus also features a planetarium that hosts educational and public events.
- ECSU’s aviation program is one of the few in the country that offers a degree in unmanned aerial systems (drones).
- The university has a partnership with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to provide students with research opportunities and internships.
- ECSU has an active alumni association that hosts events and supports the university through fundraising and advocacy.
- The university offers online degree programs in business administration, criminal justice, and interdisciplinary studies.
- ECSU has a number of academic centers and institutes, including the Center of Excellence in Remote Sensing Education and Research and the Small Business and Technology Development Center.
- The university has a student-run radio station, WRVS-FM, that broadcasts throughout northeastern North Carolina.
- ECSU is home to the ECSU School of Education and the ECSU School of Science, Aviation, Health, and Technology.
Elizabeth City State University is a historically rich and academically rigorous institution that offers students a supportive and inclusive learning environment. With its commitment to community engagement, cutting-edge research opportunities, and diverse academic programs, ECSU prepares its graduates to become leaders in their respective fields. Whether you’re looking for a top-notch education, an opportunity to give back to the community, or a chance to participate in NCAA Division II athletics, ECSU has something for everyone. Overall, the university provides a unique and enriching college experience that prepares students for success in their personal and professional lives.