Harding University is a private Christian university located in Searcy, Arkansas, USA. It was founded in 1924 as Harding College, and it has since grown into one of the largest private universities in Arkansas. The university is affiliated with the Churches of Christ, and it has a strong commitment to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service to others.
Harding University offers undergraduate and graduate programs in more than 100 areas of study, including business, education, engineering, health sciences, and theology. The university has a student-to-faculty ratio of 16:1, which allows for personalized attention and mentoring from professors. The university also offers online programs, providing students with flexibility in their education.
The university has a vibrant campus life, with over 100 student organizations and clubs, including academic, athletic, cultural, and social groups. Harding University also has 18 NCAA Division II athletic teams, and students can participate in intramural sports as well. The university also has a strong commitment to community service and offers numerous opportunities for students to get involved in volunteer work.
Harding University’s mission is to provide an education that integrates faith, learning, and living. The university emphasizes the importance of developing ethical leaders who are committed to serving others and making a positive impact on the world. Overall, Harding University is a welcoming and supportive community that offers a challenging and rewarding educational experience.
Here are 24 interesting facts about Harding University to give us more information about this private university.
- Harding University was founded in 1924 in Morrilton, Arkansas, but moved to its current location in Searcy, Arkansas, in 1934.
- The university was named after James A. Harding, a prominent minister and evangelist in the Churches of Christ.
- Harding University is consistently ranked as one of the best regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report.
- The university has a total enrollment of around 5,000 students.
- Harding University has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 1951.
- The campus covers 200 acres and features over 50 buildings.
- The university’s mascot is a bison named “Buford T. Bison.”
- Harding University has a student-to-faculty ratio of 16:1.
- The university offers over 100 undergraduate and graduate degree programs.
- Harding University has a strong commitment to study abroad programs and sends students to over 50 countries.
- The university has a partnership with the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences that allows students to earn a degree in nursing.
- Harding University has a nationally recognized speech and debate team.
- The university has a strong commitment to community service and requires all students to complete at least 20 hours of volunteer work per semester.
- Harding University has a nationally recognized music program and choir.
- The university has a partnership with the Marine Biological Laboratory in Massachusetts that allows students to participate in research.
- The university has a strong commitment to sustainability and has implemented several green initiatives.
- Harding University has a nationally recognized engineering program.
- The university has a tradition of ringing the bell on campus after achieving academic or athletic accomplishments.
- Harding University has a campus ministry program that offers spiritual guidance and support to students.
- The university has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion and has implemented several initiatives to promote equity and social justice.
- The university has a strong commitment to athletics and has won several national championships in various sports.
- The university has a partnership with several local organizations that allows students to participate in community service projects.
- The university has a partnership with the Little Rock Zoo that allows students to participate in research and volunteer work.
- The university has a tradition of celebrating “Harding Christmas,” which includes a Christmas tree lighting ceremony and other holiday events.
Harding University is a prestigious private Christian university that offers a challenging and rewarding educational experience. With its commitment to academic excellence, spiritual growth, and service to others, the university provides students with the skills and values necessary to become ethical leaders in their chosen fields. The university’s vibrant campus life, diverse student body, and numerous opportunities for community service and research make it an excellent choice for students seeking a well-rounded college experience. Whether pursuing a degree in business, education, health sciences, engineering, or theology, students at Harding University can expect to receive a world-class education that integrates faith, learning, and living. With its rich history, welcoming community, and innovative programs, Harding University is an outstanding institution that prepares students to make a positive impact on the world.