Delta State University (DSU) is a public university located in Cleveland, Mississippi, United States. It was established in 1924 as a teacher’s college and has since evolved into a comprehensive university offering undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs in a wide range of disciplines. The university is known for its strong programs in education, nursing, business, and aviation.
DSU’s campus is spread across over 330 acres and features state-of-the-art facilities including a modern library, performing arts center, student recreation center, and a number of residence halls. The university also boasts a beautiful lake on campus that is a popular spot for outdoor activities such as fishing, kayaking, and hiking.
The university has a diverse student body of around 3,500 undergraduate and graduate students, hailing from 35 states and 26 countries. DSU offers a variety of student organizations and activities, including Greek life, student government, academic clubs, and intramural sports. The university’s athletic teams, known as the Delta State Statesmen and Lady Statesmen, compete in NCAA Division II sports.
Delta State University has a commitment to research, scholarship, and creative activity. The university is home to several research centers and institutes that conduct cutting-edge research in areas such as environmental science, nursing, and business. Additionally, DSU offers a number of research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students, providing them with valuable hands-on experience in their field of study.
What about Delta State University interesting facts? Here are 25 interesting facts about Delta State University.
- Delta State University was founded in 1924 as Delta State Teachers College.
- The university is located in Cleveland, Mississippi, a city known as the “heart of the Mississippi Delta.”
- DSU has an enrollment of approximately 3,500 students.
- The university’s mascot is the Statesmen and Lady Statesmen.
- DSU offers over 50 undergraduate majors, as well as master’s and doctoral degree programs.
- The university’s most popular majors include education, nursing, business, and aviation.
- DSU has a diverse student body, with students representing 35 states and 26 countries.
- The university is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
- DSU’s campus covers over 330 acres.
- The university is home to a beautiful lake that is a popular spot for fishing, kayaking, and hiking.
- DSU has over 100 student organizations, including Greek life, academic clubs, and intramural sports.
- The university’s marching band, the Delta State University Band, is known as the “Pride of the Delta.”
- DSU has a strong commitment to research, scholarship, and creative activity.
- The university is home to several research centers and institutes, including the Delta Center for Culture and Learning, the Center for Interdisciplinary Geospatial Information Technologies, and the Center for Community and Economic Development.
- DSU is one of only four universities in Mississippi to offer an aviation program.
- The university has a partnership with the Mississippi Delta Community College that allows students to seamlessly transfer from the community college to DSU.
- DSU has a strong athletic program, with 13 NCAA Division II sports teams.
- The university’s football team has won three NCAA Division II National Championships.
- The university’s mascot, the Statesmen, is named after the Mississippi statesmen who played a key role in the state’s history.
- DSU is home to the Bologna Performing Arts Center, which hosts a variety of concerts, plays, and other performances.
- The university’s official colors are green and white.
- DSU has a strong commitment to sustainability and has implemented several green initiatives on campus.
- The university’s library, the Roberts-LaForge Library, has over 300,000 volumes and provides access to a wide range of electronic resources.
- DSU offers several study abroad programs, allowing students to gain valuable international experience.
- The university has a number of on-campus dining options, including a Starbucks and a Chick-fil-A.
Delta State University is a vibrant and dynamic institution that offers students a high-quality education in a supportive and welcoming environment. With a commitment to research, scholarship, and creative activity, DSU provides students with valuable hands-on experience that prepares them for success in their chosen fields. Whether you’re interested in education, nursing, business, aviation, or any of the other programs offered at DSU, you can be sure that you’ll receive a top-notch education that will help you achieve your goals. With its beautiful campus, diverse student body, and strong athletic program, Delta State University is a great choice for students who want to get the most out of their college experience.