Creighton University is a private Jesuit university located in Omaha, Nebraska. The university was founded in 1878 and has since then developed into one of the top universities in the Midwest. Creighton University has a strong commitment to academic excellence, service to the community, and a holistic approach to education that focuses on developing the whole person.
The university offers over 70 undergraduate and graduate programs across nine schools and colleges, including the College of Arts and Sciences, the Heider College of Business, and the School of Medicine. The university is particularly renowned for its health sciences programs, including dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, and physical therapy. Additionally, Creighton University has a strong emphasis on research, with numerous opportunities for students and faculty to engage in research and scholarship.
One of the unique features of Creighton University is its Jesuit heritage, which emphasizes the pursuit of knowledge, social justice, and the development of moral and ethical values. The university’s mission is to provide a comprehensive education that prepares students not only for successful careers but also for lives of service and leadership. As a result, the university places a strong emphasis on community engagement and service-learning, encouraging students to use their skills and knowledge to address social problems and make a positive impact on society.
Creighton University also offers a vibrant campus life with numerous extracurricular activities and events that allow students to pursue their interests and develop their talents outside the classroom. The university has a strong athletic program with Division I teams in basketball, soccer, and other sports. Additionally, the university has a thriving arts scene, with numerous performances and exhibits throughout the year, as well as student clubs and organizations focused on a wide range of interests.
To know more about Creighton University, let’s take a look at these 26 interesting facts about Creighton University.
- Creighton University was founded in 1878 by the Society of Jesus, a Catholic religious order also known as the Jesuits.
- The university is named after Edward Creighton, a businessman and philanthropist who provided funding for the founding of the university.
- Creighton University is located in Omaha, Nebraska, and is the largest private university in the state.
- The university is home to more than 8,000 students, including undergraduates, graduates, and professional students.
- Creighton University has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 states and more than 50 countries.
- The university has nine schools and colleges, including the College of Arts and Sciences, the Heider College of Business, and the School of Medicine.
- Creighton University is consistently ranked among the top universities in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report.
- The university has a strong emphasis on health sciences, with programs in dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, and physical therapy, among others.
- Creighton University has a 95% pass rate on the NCLEX-RN exam, which is required for nursing licensure.
- The university is home to one of the largest Jesuit communities in the United States, with more than 50 Jesuits living and working on campus.
- Creighton University is committed to sustainability and has been recognized as a green campus by the Princeton Review.
- The university has a strong commitment to community service and service-learning, with more than 600,000 hours of service provided by students each year.
- Creighton University has a 12:1 student-to-faculty ratio, which allows for personalized attention and mentorship from faculty members.
- The university has a strong athletic program, with Division I teams in basketball, soccer, volleyball, and other sports.
- Creighton University’s basketball team, the Bluejays, has made 20 NCAA Tournament appearances and has produced several NBA players, including Doug McDermott and Kyle Korver.
- The university has a thriving arts scene, with numerous performances and exhibits throughout the year.
- Creighton University is home to the John P. Fahey Career Center, which provides students with career counseling, job search assistance, and networking opportunities.
- The university has a strong emphasis on international education, with study abroad programs in more than 40 countries.
- Creighton University has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, with numerous initiatives and programs aimed at promoting equity and justice.
- The university has a robust research program, with more than $35 million in research funding awarded annually.
- Creighton University has a state-of-the-art simulation center for medical and nursing education.
- The university’s law school is ranked among the top 100 law schools in the United States by U.S. News & World Report.
- Creighton University has a strong alumni network, with more than 70,000 alumni living and working around the world.
- The university has a nationally recognized program in occupational therapy, with a 100% pass rate on the NBCOT certification exam.
- Creighton University is home to the Creighton Global Initiative, which aims to promote global understanding and engagement among students, faculty, and staff.
- The university has a student-run investment club, the Creighton Investment Club, which manages a portfolio of more than $500,000.
Creighton University is a renowned academic institution that is committed to providing excellent education to its students. With its strong emphasis on Jesuit values and commitment to social justice, Creighton University prepares students to be compassionate and competent leaders in their respective fields. The university’s wide range of programs, experienced faculty, and state-of-the-art facilities make it an excellent choice for students seeking to enhance their academic and professional skills. Whether you’re pursuing an undergraduate degree or a graduate program, Creighton University offers a vibrant and supportive community that will help you achieve your goals and make a positive impact on the world.