The University of Northern Iowa (UNI) is a public university located in Cedar Falls, Iowa. Established in 1876 as the Iowa State Normal School, UNI has a rich history in providing high-quality education to its students. Today, the university offers over 90 undergraduate and graduate programs, including strong programs in education, business, and the arts.
UNI is recognized as one of the best regional universities in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report. The university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and has a student-to-faculty ratio of 17:1, ensuring that students receive personalized attention from their professors. UNI’s faculty are renowned experts in their fields and are committed to providing students with a challenging and supportive learning environment.
The university’s vibrant campus community offers a wide range of student organizations and activities, including academic and professional clubs, cultural and diversity groups, and social organizations. UNI also has a strong athletics program, with 17 NCAA Division I sports teams. The campus features modern facilities, including residence halls, academic buildings, a student center, and a state-of-the-art performing arts center.
With a diverse student population from over 40 states and 80 countries, UNI provides a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students. The university is committed to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion and has several initiatives and programs to support underrepresented students.
It’s a good idea to look at these 26 interesting facts about the University of Northern Iowa to know more about this public university.
- UNI was founded in 1876 as Iowa State Normal School, with the purpose of training teachers for Iowa’s public schools.
- The university’s first president was Oran Faville, who served from 1876-1884.
- In 1909, the school’s name was changed to Iowa State Teachers College.
- The school’s name was changed again in 1961 to State College of Iowa.
- Finally, in 1967, the school’s name was changed to the University of Northern Iowa.
- UNI’s campus covers over 900 acres.
- The university has over 10,000 students, with approximately 8,000 undergraduates and 2,000 graduate students.
- UNI offers over 90 undergraduate majors and over 30 graduate programs.
- The university has a student-to-faculty ratio of 17:1.
- UNI’s mascot is “TC” the Panther.
- The university has 17 NCAA Division I sports teams.
- UNI’s football team won the NCAA Division I-AA National Championship in 2005.
- The university’s colors are purple and gold.
- UNI has a strong program in education and is known for its teacher education program.
- The university has a strong business program and is home to the Iowa Business and Community Services program.
- UNI’s College of Humanities, Arts, and Sciences is the largest college on campus.
- The university’s College of Education is the second-largest college on campus.
- UNI has a strong program in the arts and is home to the Gallagher-Bluedorn Performing Arts Center.
- The university has over 200 student organizations.
- UNI has a strong commitment to sustainability and has implemented several initiatives to reduce its carbon footprint.
- The university’s Rod Library has over 1.5 million volumes.
- UNI has a strong program in language education and is home to the Confucius Institute, which promotes the teaching and learning of Chinese language and culture.
- The university has a strong program in international education and offers study abroad opportunities in over 70 countries.
- UNI has a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion and has several initiatives and programs to support underrepresented students.
- The university has a strong commitment to community engagement and has several programs and initiatives to promote service learning and community involvement.
- The university has a strong alumni network, with over 115,000 living alumni around the world.
The University of Northern Iowa is a highly respected public university that offers a wide range of academic programs and extracurricular activities to its students. With a strong commitment to diversity, community engagement, sustainability, and innovation, UNI provides its students with an excellent education and the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in their chosen careers. The university’s beautiful campus, dedicated faculty, and vibrant campus community make it an ideal place for students to learn and grow. Whether you’re interested in education, business, the arts, or any other field, the University of Northern Iowa is a great choice for anyone seeking a high-quality, affordable education.