Central Washington University (CWU) is a public university located in Ellensburg, Washington. Founded in 1891, it is one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in the state of Washington. The university offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs, including over 135 majors, minors, and specializations.
CWU is known for its strong programs in education, business, and the sciences. It is also home to the Brooks Library, which houses over a million volumes of books, journals, and other resources. In addition to its academic programs, the university also offers a variety of extracurricular activities, including clubs and organizations, athletics, and community service programs.
One of the unique features of CWU is its location in the heart of Washington state. The university is surrounded by natural beauty, including mountains, rivers, and forests. This provides students with a variety of opportunities for outdoor recreation, such as hiking, skiing, and fishing. The university also has a strong commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship, with several programs and initiatives aimed at reducing its carbon footprint and promoting green practices.
CWU is also known for its strong sense of community and inclusiveness. The university values diversity and strives to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all students, faculty, and staff. With its focus on academic excellence, natural beauty, and community, Central Washington University is an outstanding choice for students seeking a well-rounded, engaging, and rewarding college experience.
It’s surely a good idea to look at these 28 interesting facts about Central Washington University to give us more knowledge about this university.
- Central Washington University (CWU) was founded in 1891 as the Washington State Normal School.
- The university’s first president was Benjamin Franklin Barge.
- CWU’s campus covers over 380 acres.
- The university has more than 12,000 students.
- The school mascot is a wildcat named “Wellington.”
- The university offers over 135 undergraduate and graduate programs.
- CWU is one of six public universities in the state of Washington.
- The university has a student-to-faculty ratio of 17:1.
- CWU’s main campus is located in Ellensburg, Washington.
- The university has several satellite campuses throughout the state.
- The school colors are crimson and black.
- CWU’s athletic teams compete in NCAA Division II.
- The university’s marching band is known as the “Wildcat Marching Band.”
- The university has an observatory that is open to the public.
- The school motto is “Learn, Do, Live.”
- CWU is home to the Washington State Climatology Office.
- The university has a strong commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship.
- The school’s library is named after Harriet B. and Maurice A. Dean, two prominent alumni.
- CWU has a partnership with NASA to conduct research on the International Space Station.
- The university offers study abroad programs in over 50 countries.
- The university has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 states and over 70 countries.
- CWU has a strong program in aviation, with degrees in aviation management, flight technology, and professional pilot.
- The university has a strong partnership with the U.S. Army, offering ROTC programs.
- The university’s art museum, the Sarah Spurgeon Gallery, features rotating exhibits of contemporary art.
- The university has a strong program in music education, with a high percentage of its graduates becoming music teachers.
- The university has a planetarium that offers public shows.
- The university has a strong program in education, with degrees in elementary education, special education, and secondary education.
- The university’s Brooks Library has a collection of rare books and manuscripts.
Central Washington University is a dynamic and vibrant institution of higher learning, offering students a wealth of academic and extracurricular opportunities. With its commitment to academic excellence, sustainability, and community, CWU is a premier destination for students seeking a well-rounded and engaging college experience. From its strong programs in education, business, and the sciences to its commitment to diversity and inclusivity, CWU provides students with the knowledge, skills, and experiences they need to succeed in their chosen fields and make a positive impact on the world. With its beautiful natural surroundings, world-class facilities, and dedicated faculty and staff, Central Washington University is truly an exceptional place to learn, grow, and thrive.