Eastern Washington University (EWU) is a public university located in Cheney, Washington. It was established in 1882 as the Cheney State Normal School, and has since grown to become a comprehensive university with over 10,000 students enrolled in its various undergraduate and graduate programs.
EWU offers over 135 academic programs, including majors, minors, and graduate programs, in a wide range of fields such as business, education, health sciences, science, technology, engineering, and the arts. The university has a faculty of over 500 highly qualified and dedicated professionals who are committed to providing students with a quality education and preparing them for success in their chosen careers.
One of the unique features of EWU is its commitment to providing students with a personalized learning experience. The university has a student-to-faculty ratio of 22:1, and its faculty members are highly accessible and invested in their students’ success. The university also offers a number of support services and programs to help students achieve their academic and personal goals, including tutoring, academic advising, career counseling, and more.
EWU has a strong athletic program, with 11 NCAA Division I sports teams, known as the Eagles. The university’s football team is particularly renowned, having won the NCAA Division I Football Championship in 2010. The university also has a vibrant campus life, with over 140 student clubs and organizations, as well as a number of cultural and social events and activities throughout the year.
What about EWU interesting facts? Here are 31 interesting facts about Eastern Washington University.
- Eastern Washington University (EWU) is a public research university located in Cheney, Washington, United States.
- The university was established in 1882 as the Benjamin P. Cheney Academy, named after the founder of the town of Cheney.
- EWU is one of six state-supported four-year institutions of higher education in Washington.
- The university has over 10,000 students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs.
- The university is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
- EWU has four campuses: the Cheney campus, the Spokane campus, the Riverpoint campus, and the Bellevue campus.
- The university has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 states and over 40 countries.
- EWU has a total of 135 academic programs, including 11 graduate programs and one doctoral program.
- The university has a strong focus on research and has over 20 research centers and institutes.
- The university’s mascot is Swoop, an eagle.
- EWU has a strong athletic program, with 14 varsity sports teams.
- The university’s football team, the Eastern Washington Eagles, won the NCAA Division I Football Championship in 2010.
- EWU has a student newspaper called The Easterner.
- The university has a strong commitment to sustainability and has been recognized as a “Green University” by The Princeton Review.
- The university has a large number of veterans enrolled, and was named a “Military Friendly School” by G.I. Jobs magazine.
- The university has a strong emphasis on community service, and students participate in over 200 service projects each year.
- EWU has a vibrant arts program, with a wide range of musical, theatrical, and visual arts performances and exhibitions.
- The university has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, and has a number of programs and initiatives to promote these values.
- EWU has a comprehensive advising program, with advisors available to help students with academic, career, and personal issues.
- The university has a number of study abroad programs, with options for students to study in over 20 countries.
- EWU has a strong commitment to student success, with a range of resources available to help students achieve their academic and career goals.
- The university has a number of honors programs, including the Honors Program, the McNair Scholars Program, and the Chancellor’s Scholars Program.
- The university has a strong commitment to undergraduate research, with opportunities for students to work on research projects with faculty members.
- EWU has a number of student organizations, including academic clubs, cultural organizations, and special interest groups.
- The university has a comprehensive student health and wellness program, with a range of services available to promote physical and mental health.
- The university has a strong commitment to accessibility, with a range of services and accommodations available to students with disabilities.
- EWU has a strong commitment to technology, with a range of online resources available to students and faculty.
- The university has a number of partnerships with local businesses and organizations, providing students with opportunities for internships and real-world experience.
- The university has a number of community outreach programs, including the Eastern Promise program, which provides college credit to high school students.
- EWU has a strong commitment to sustainability, with a range of initiatives aimed at reducing the university’s environmental impact.
- The university has a number of scholarships and financial aid programs available to help students finance their education.
Eastern Washington University is a dynamic and diverse institution of higher education that is committed to providing students with a high-quality education and preparing them for success in their chosen careers. With a wide range of academic programs, research centers, and student organizations, EWU offers students a vibrant and supportive community that fosters intellectual growth, personal development, and social engagement. Whether pursuing a degree in one of the university’s many fields of study, participating in research or service projects, or engaging in the arts or athletics, students at EWU are sure to find opportunities to explore their passions and achieve their goals.