The University of Southern Indiana (USI) is a public university located in Evansville, Indiana. It was founded in 1965 and offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The university is known for its strong focus on hands-on learning and practical experience, as well as its commitment to community engagement and service.
USI has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 states and more than 70 countries. The university offers a variety of student organizations and activities, including sports teams, music ensembles, and academic clubs. The campus is also home to several art galleries and a performing arts center.
USI is known for its strong nursing program, which is ranked among the top nursing schools in the nation. The university also has strong programs in business, education, and health sciences, among others. USI is committed to providing its students with a high-quality education that prepares them for success in their chosen fields.
USI is located in a beautiful natural setting, with over 1,400 acres of land that includes a nature preserve and several walking trails. The university is also located near many local attractions, including museums, parks, and shopping centers, making it a great place to live and study.
To know more about the University of Southern Indiana, let’s take a look at these 32 interesting facts about the University of Southern Indiana.
- The University of Southern Indiana (USI) was founded in 1965 as Indiana State University – Evansville.
- In 1985, the university changed its name to the University of Southern Indiana.
- The university has a total enrollment of over 9,000 students.
- USI is located in Evansville, Indiana, the third-largest city in the state.
- The university has a beautiful 1,400-acre campus, with over 200 acres dedicated to natural areas and walking trails.
- The USI Eagles are the university’s athletic teams, competing in NCAA Division II.
- USI has over 140 student organizations, including academic clubs, sports teams, and service organizations.
- The university has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 states and over 70 countries.
- USI has a 17-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio.
- The university offers over 100 undergraduate majors and minors, as well as over 20 graduate programs.
- USI has been recognized for its commitment to sustainability, with several LEED-certified buildings on campus.
- The university has a strong nursing program, which is ranked among the top nursing schools in the nation.
- USI is home to the College of Nursing and Health Professions, the Romain College of Business, and the Pott College of Science, Engineering, and Education.
- The university has a Center for Applied Research, which provides research and development services to businesses and organizations.
- USI offers online degree programs in several fields, including nursing, business, and education.
- The university has a strong commitment to community engagement and service, with numerous service opportunities available to students.
- USI has a Division of Outreach and Engagement, which provides educational and training programs to the community.
- The university has a student-run newspaper, The Shield, as well as a student radio station, The Edge.
- USI has several art galleries on campus, including the McCutchan Art Center/Pace Galleries and the Rice Library Gallery.
- The university has a performing arts center, the USI Performance Center, which hosts a variety of concerts and theatrical productions.
- USI has a strong partnership with Toyota, which has donated over $4 million to the university’s engineering programs.
- The university has a state-of-the-art nursing simulation lab, which allows students to practice their skills in a realistic clinical setting.
- USI offers study abroad programs in several countries, including China, Germany, and Spain.
- The university has a strong focus on undergraduate research, with numerous opportunities for students to engage in research projects.
- USI has a campus police department, which provides 24-hour security and emergency services.
- The university has a Veterans Education Center, which provides support and resources to military veterans and their families.
- USI has a beautiful botanical garden, with over 200 species of plants and trees.
- The university has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, with several initiatives and programs dedicated to promoting a welcoming and inclusive campus environment.
- USI has a Center for Healthy Aging and Wellness, which provides education and resources to promote healthy aging.
- The university has a Center for Applied Research and Economic Development, which provides support to businesses and organizations in the region.
- USI has a Student Government Association, which advocates for student interests and oversees student organizations.
- The university has a strong athletic tradition, with numerous conference and national championships in several sports.
The University of Southern Indiana offers a comprehensive education in a supportive and student-focused environment. With a range of academic programs, strong commitment to research, and numerous opportunities for experiential learning, USI prepares students to succeed in their chosen fields. The university also places a strong emphasis on community engagement, with a variety of initiatives designed to serve the local community. Whether students are pursuing undergraduate or graduate degrees, they can expect to receive a quality education at USI that prepares them for success in their careers and in life.