The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a public research university located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. It was founded in 1910 as Mississippi Normal College, and it has since grown into a comprehensive university with a strong reputation for academic excellence.
USM is organized into several colleges and schools, including the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business and Economic Development, the College of Education and Human Sciences, the College of Nursing and Health Professions, and the College of Arts, Design, and Humanities. It offers over 180 academic programs, including undergraduate and graduate degrees in a wide range of fields.
USM is known for its strong research programs, with research expenditures exceeding $100 million annually. It is home to several research centers and institutes, including the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory, the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security, and the Institute for Disability Studies.
USM has a diverse student body of over 14,000 students, representing all 50 states and more than 70 countries. It is also home to a vibrant campus community, with over 200 student organizations and a wide range of cultural, social, and athletic events. USM has a strong athletic program, with its teams competing in the NCAA Division I Conference USA. Its athletic teams are known as the Golden Eagles, and its mascot is an eagle named Seymour. The university has a long and proud history of athletic success, with numerous conference championships and several players who have gone on to play professionally.
What about the University of Southern Mississippi interesting facts? Here are 39 interesting facts about the University of Southern Mississippi.
- The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) was founded in 1910 as Mississippi Normal College.
- The university is located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, and has satellite campuses in Long Beach and Gulf Park.
- The university’s motto is “lux et veritas” (light and truth).
- USM is classified as a “Doctoral University: High Research Activity” by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
- The university is known for its strong programs in music, marine science, nursing, and education.
- USM is home to the Dale Center for the Study of War and Society, which is dedicated to the study of military history and the impact of war on society.
- The university has a strong focus on sustainability and was ranked as one of the top 50 “Cool Schools” by the Sierra Club in 2019.
- USM is home to the National Center for Spectator Sports Safety and Security, which conducts research on best practices for sports security.
- The university has a long history of providing education to military veterans and active-duty service members.
- USM has been designated a “Military Friendly School” by GI Jobs magazine for ten consecutive years.
- The university has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 states and more than 70 countries.
- USM is the only university in Mississippi to offer a degree in marine science.
- The university has a strong partnership with the nearby Stennis Space Center, which provides research opportunities for students and faculty.
- USM is home to the Mississippi Polymer Institute, which provides research and development services for the polymer industry.
- The university has a strong commitment to community service and hosts numerous service projects and events throughout the year.
- USM is home to the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community Design Studio, which provides design services to communities on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
- The university has a strong athletic program, with teams competing in the NCAA Division I Conference USA.
- USM’s athletic teams are known as the Golden Eagles, and its mascot is an eagle named Seymour.
- The university has a strong rivalry with the University of Southern Alabama.
- USM has won numerous conference championships in football, basketball, baseball, and other sports.
- The university’s marching band, The Pride of Mississippi, is known for its high-energy performances and has performed at events across the country.
- USM has a strong program in jazz studies and hosts an annual jazz and blues festival.
- USM is home to the Center for the Study of the Gulf South, which explores the history, culture, and environment of the Gulf Coast region.
- The university has a strong program in archaeology and is home to the Mississippi Archeological Laboratory.
- USM’s School of Education and Human Sciences is ranked as one of the top education schools in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
- The university’s School of Social Work is also highly ranked and has a strong focus on social justice and community engagement.
- USM’s College of Business and Economic Development is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB).
- The university has a strong program in nursing and offers a variety of nursing degrees and certificates.
- USM is home to the de Grummond Children’s Literature Collection, which includes one of the largest collections of original manuscripts and illustrations for children’s literature in the world.
- The university has a strong focus on undergraduate research and hosts an annual undergraduate research symposium.
- USM is home to the Center for Oral History and Cultural Heritage, which collects and preserves the stories and histories of Mississippi and the Gulf Coast region.
- The university has a strong program in sports management and offers a degree in sport coaching education.
- USM’s School of Ocean Science and Engineering conducts research on oceanography, marine biology, and coastal science.
- The university’s Gulf Coast Research Laboratory conducts research on marine ecology and fisheries.
- USM is home to the Polymer Science Research Center, which conducts research on polymers and materials science.
- The university has a strong program in theatre and hosts several theatre productions each year.
- USM’s School of Mass Communication and Journalism is highly ranked and offers degrees in journalism, public relations, and communication studies.
- The university has a strong program in library and information science and offers a variety of degrees and certificates in the field.
- USM’s School of Psychology is highly ranked and offers degrees in clinical psychology, experimental psychology, and school psychology.
The University of Southern Mississippi is a vibrant and dynamic institution that offers a wide range of academic programs and research opportunities. With a focus on student success, the university provides numerous resources and support services to help students achieve their goals. Whether you are interested in pursuing a degree in the arts, sciences, or professional fields, USM has something to offer. Its strong commitment to research and community engagement has earned it a reputation as a leading institution in the region. With its beautiful campus, diverse student body, and engaged faculty, the University of Southern Mississippi is an excellent choice for anyone seeking a high-quality education in a welcoming and supportive environment.