Florida Atlantic University (FAU) is a public research university located in Boca Raton, Florida. It was established in 1961 and has since become a highly respected institution, known for its innovative academic programs, groundbreaking research, and commitment to student success. FAU is home to over 30,000 students and has a diverse student body, with students from over 130 countries.
FAU offers over 170 degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels, including programs in business, engineering, nursing, education, and many others. The university is known for its emphasis on hands-on, experiential learning, with many programs incorporating internships, research opportunities, and other real-world experiences into the curriculum. FAU is also committed to providing students with the support they need to succeed, with resources such as tutoring, advising, and career services available to all students.
In addition to its academic programs, FAU is also known for its research. The university has a number of research centers and institutes, including the Center for Environmental Studies, the Center for Complex Systems and Brain Sciences, and the Center for Cryptology and Information Security, among others. FAU is also home to several research initiatives focused on topics such as climate change, neuroscience, and oceanography.
It’s a good idea to look at these 41 interesting facts about Florida Atlantic University to know more about this public university.
- Florida Atlantic University was founded in 1961.
- FAU is a public university located in Boca Raton, Florida.
- The university has six campuses throughout the state of Florida.
- FAU’s mascot is an owl named “Owsley.”
- The university offers over 170 degree programs.
- FAU has over 30,000 students.
- The university has a diverse student body, with students from over 130 countries.
- FAU’s colors are blue and red.
- The university is known for its emphasis on hands-on, experiential learning.
- FAU has a strong commitment to research, with several research centers and institutes on campus.
- The university is home to the Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College, a highly selective honors program.
- FAU has over 300 student organizations.
- The university has a Division I athletics program.
- The FAU football team has won two Conference USA championships.
- The university’s library is named after former U.S. Senator and astronaut John Glenn.
- FAU has a strong focus on sustainability and has been recognized for its efforts in this area.
- The university’s College of Business is accredited by AACSB International.
- FAU has a College of Medicine, which opened in 2011.
- The university’s School of Architecture is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board.
- FAU has a School of Communication and Multimedia Studies.
- The university’s College of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
- FAU has a College of Engineering and Computer Science.
- The university’s College of Nursing is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education.
- FAU has a College of Science, which includes programs in biology, chemistry, physics, and more.
- The university’s Charles E. Schmidt College of Science is named after a prominent businessman and philanthropist.
- FAU has a College for Design and Social Inquiry, which includes programs in social work, urban and regional planning, and more.
- The university’s Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters is named after a philanthropist who donated $10 million to the college.
- FAU has a College of Medicine, which offers an MD degree and several other medical programs.
- The university’s Christine E. Lynn College of Nursing is named after a philanthropist who donated $10 million to the college.
- FAU has a prestigious honors program called the Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College, which admits only the top 1% of high school students in Florida.
- The university’s Division of Student Affairs provides a variety of services and programs to support students.
- FAU has a comprehensive career services center to assist students with job search strategies, resume development, and more.
- The university has an Office of Undergraduate Research and Inquiry to support undergraduate research opportunities.
- FAU has a focus on community engagement and has been recognized for its efforts in this area.
- The university has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- FAU has a number of international partnerships and exchange programs with universities around the world.
- The university has a campus in Davie, Florida, which is home to the FAU Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute.
- FAU has a campus in Jupiter, Florida, which is home to the Max Planck Florida Institute for Neuroscience.
- The university’s athletics teams are known as the Owls.
- FAU’s athletic teams compete in Conference USA.
- The university’s Boca Raton campus features the 30,000-seat FAU Stadium, which hosts football games and other events.
Florida Atlantic University is a highly respected institution that provides students with a high-quality education and a supportive environment. With its emphasis on experiential learning and commitment to research, FAU is a great choice for students who want to gain practical skills and knowledge that will prepare them for success in their chosen fields.