Julia Roberts, born on October 28, 1967, in Smyrna, Georgia, is one of Hollywood’s most iconic and accomplished actresses. With her captivating smile, undeniable talent, and versatile roles, she has earned a place as a beloved figure in the entertainment industry.
Roberts gained widespread recognition with her breakout role in the romantic comedy “Pretty Woman” (1990), where she portrayed a vivacious and charismatic prostitute. The film’s success catapulted her to stardom, and she became one of the most sought-after actresses of the 1990s.
Her performance in “Erin Brockovich” (2000) further solidified her status as a powerhouse actress, earning her an Academy Award for Best Actress. Roberts is known for her ability to seamlessly transition between romantic comedies, dramas, and more complex roles, showcasing her range and depth.
Beyond her acting prowess, Julia Roberts is also celebrated for her philanthropic efforts. She has been involved in various charitable initiatives, including supporting organizations focused on children’s health, education, and poverty alleviation. Julia Roberts’s enduring popularity, combined with her remarkable talent and charitable contributions, has solidified her as a Hollywood icon and a respected figure both on and off the screen.
Do you want to know more about Julia Roberts? Here are 45 interesting facts about Julia Roberts.
- Julia Fiona Roberts was born on October 28, 1967, in Smyrna, Georgia.
- She is the daughter of Walter Grady Roberts, a vacuum cleaner salesman, and Betty Lou Bredemus, a church secretary.
- Julia’s siblings, Eric Roberts and Lisa Roberts Gillan, are also involved in the entertainment industry.
- Her brother Eric Roberts was nominated for an Academy Award.
- Julia Roberts initially pursued a career in modeling before transitioning to acting.
- She made her acting debut on the television show “Crime Story” in 1987.
- Roberts gained widespread recognition with her breakout role in “Pretty Woman” (1990).
- Her performance in “Steel Magnolias” (1989) earned her a nomination for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.
- Julia Roberts became the highest-paid actress in the 1990s.
- She won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in “Erin Brockovich” (2000).
- Julia Roberts was the first actress to earn $20 million for a single film role, for “Erin Brockovich.”
- She starred in the film adaptation of “Eat Pray Love” (2010), based on the best-selling memoir.
- Roberts has received three Golden Globe Awards.
- In 1991, she was named one of People magazine’s “50 Most Beautiful People in the World.”
- She was named People magazine’s “Most Beautiful Woman” a record five times.
- Roberts’s smile has been widely regarded as one of her most distinctive features.
- Julia Roberts has been known for her range in film genres, from romantic comedies to dramatic roles.
- She starred opposite Richard Gere in “Pretty Woman” and “Runaway Bride.”
- Roberts starred in the “Ocean’s Eleven” film series alongside George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and others.
- Her role as the Evil Queen in “Mirror Mirror” (2012) marked her first foray into playing a villain.
- Roberts played the titular character in the film adaptation of the fairy tale “Snow White.”
- She voiced the character Charlotte the spider in the animated film “Charlotte’s Web” (2006).
- Julia Roberts’s production company is called “Red Om Films.”
- She won an Emmy Award for her performance in the television film “The Normal Heart” (2014).
- Roberts starred in the psychological thriller “Secret in Their Eyes” (2015).
- She has been praised for her on-screen chemistry with various co-stars.
- Julia Roberts starred in the Amazon Prime series “Homecoming” (2018) and received critical acclaim for her performance.
- She starred alongside Lucas Hedges in the film “Ben Is Back” (2018).
- Roberts is known for her philanthropic efforts and involvement in charitable organizations.
- She is an advocate for children’s education and poverty alleviation.
- Roberts is a supporter of the Raising Malawi organization, which supports orphans and vulnerable children in Malawi.
- She has been involved in campaigns for amfAR, a foundation dedicated to AIDS research.
- Julia Roberts has been married to cinematographer Daniel Moder since 2002.
- They met while working on the film “The Mexican” (2001).
- The couple has three children: twins Hazel and Phinnaeus, and son Henry.
- Roberts has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- She was named one of Time magazine’s “100 Most Influential People in the World” in 2001 and 2010.
- Julia Roberts received the AFI Life Achievement Award in 2000.
- She is an avid reader and has expressed her love for books in interviews.
- Roberts starred in the film adaptation of “August: Osage County” (2013) alongside Meryl Streep.
- She has a fear of flying.
- Julia Roberts has also directed and produced some projects.
- She starred alongside Owen Wilson in the film “Wonder” (2017), based on the novel by R.J. Palacio.
- Roberts has appeared in numerous commercials and endorsements.
- Her enduring popularity, talent, and philanthropic work continue to make her a beloved and respected figure in Hollywood and beyond.
Julia Roberts shines not only as a captivating actress but also as an embodiment of grace, talent, and philanthropy. From her dazzling debut in “Pretty Woman” to her award-winning performances in films like “Erin Brockovich,” Roberts has transcended genres and roles with her signature charm and undeniable skill. Beyond the silver screen, her philanthropic endeavors and advocacy for various causes highlight her compassionate heart and commitment to making a positive impact. Julia Roberts’s enduring influence on cinema, her infectious smile, and her dedication to making the world a better place have firmly secured her as a cherished and iconic figure in both the entertainment industry and the hearts of millions around the globe.