Ohio State University (OSU) is a public research university located in Columbus, Ohio. The institution was founded in 1870 and is one of the largest universities in the United States, with over 67,000 students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs. OSU is known for its strong emphasis on research, innovation, and community engagement.
The university offers over 200 undergraduate majors and over 250 graduate degree programs across 15 colleges. OSU is particularly well-regarded for its programs in engineering, business, and agriculture. The institution is also home to several research centers and institutes, including the Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center, and the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center.
OSU is committed to providing a supportive and inclusive community for all students. The university has over 1,400 student organizations, including clubs for sports, music, and community service. The institution also offers a range of support services for students, including academic advising, counseling, and career services.
Ohio State University is deeply committed to community outreach and engagement. The institution partners with local organizations and businesses to provide service opportunities and internships for students. OSU also hosts several community events throughout the year, including a popular arts and music festival called the Ohio State University Festival of the Arts. Overall, Ohio State University is a dynamic and innovative institution that provides students with a top-tier education, a supportive community, and numerous opportunities for research and community engagement.
What about Ohio State University interesting facts? Here are 50 interesting facts about Ohio State University.
- Ohio State University was founded in 1870 as the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College.
- The university’s current name, Ohio State University, was adopted in 1878.
- OSU is the third-largest university campus in the United States by enrollment.
- The university has over 67,000 students enrolled in undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs.
- OSU is a land-grant, sea-grant, and space-grant institution.
- The university has over 700,000 living alumni.
- Ohio State University is one of the largest employers in Ohio, with over 45,000 employees.
- The institution has over 1,400 student organizations.
- Ohio State University has one of the largest university libraries in the country, with over 5.8 million volumes.
- The university’s mascot is Brutus Buckeye, a nut-shaped character.
- Ohio State University is a member of the Big Ten Conference for sports.
- The university has won 38 national championships in various sports.
- OSU has produced over 100 Olympic medalists.
- Ohio State University is home to the Ohio State University Marching Band, known as “The Best Damn Band in the Land.”
- The university has several notable research centers, including the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and the Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center.
- OSU is home to the Buckeye Bullet, a solar-powered car that has set several land-speed records.
- Ohio State University has one of the largest student-run philanthropic organizations in the country, called BuckeyeThon.
- The university’s football team, the Ohio State Buckeyes, has a fierce rivalry with the University of Michigan Wolverines.
- The Ohio State University has one of the largest study abroad programs in the country, with over 100 programs in 50 countries.
- OSU has a highly ranked business school, the Fisher College of Business.
- The university’s mascot, Brutus Buckeye, was introduced in 1965.
- Ohio State University has a renowned veterinary college, the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- OSU has a partnership with the James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute to advance cancer research and treatment.
- The university has a campus-wide recycling program and is committed to sustainability.
- Ohio State University has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusivity, with several programs and initiatives dedicated to promoting equity and social justice.
- The university’s colors are scarlet and gray.
- OSU has a partnership with Honda to develop advanced technologies for automotive safety and sustainability.
- The Ohio State University has a highly ranked engineering college, the College of Engineering.
- The university is home to the Ohio Union, a student center with several dining options, meeting rooms, and recreational facilities.
- Ohio State University has a partnership with the city of Columbus to promote economic development and community engagement.
- The university has a renowned arts program, with several galleries and performance spaces.
- OSU has a highly ranked program in agricultural and biosystems engineering.
- Ohio State University has several satellite campuses throughout the state, including in Lima, Mansfield, Marion, and Newark.
- The university has a strong commitment to service, with several programs and initiatives dedicated to community engagement and social impact.
- OSU has a partnership with the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium to advance wildlife conservation and education.
- The Ohio State University has a highly ranked program in environmental science and policy.
- The university has a renowned program in sports medicine and athletic training.
- Ohio State University has a highly regarded program in sports medicine and athletic training.
- The university’s athletic teams have won a total of 174 Big Ten Conference championships.
- The Ohio State University has a renowned program in atmospheric sciences and meteorology.
- OSU is home to the Stone Laboratory, the oldest freshwater biological field station in the United States.
- The university has a strong commitment to entrepreneurship and innovation, with several programs and initiatives dedicated to fostering startup companies and new ventures.
- Ohio State University has a partnership with the Nationwide Children’s Hospital to advance pediatric research and treatment.
- The university has a highly ranked program in materials science and engineering.
- OSU has a partnership with the Battelle Memorial Institute to advance scientific research and development.
- The Ohio State University has a renowned program in plant biology and agricultural sciences.
- The university has a highly ranked program in social work.
- OSU is home to the Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum, which has one of the largest collections of comic strips, editorial cartoons, and graphic novels in the world.
- Ohio State University has a partnership with the Columbus Metropolitan Library to advance literacy and lifelong learning in the community.
- OSU has a partnership with the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction to provide higher education opportunities for inmates.
Ohio State University is a renowned public research university that has made significant contributions to a diverse range of fields, including science, engineering, medicine, agriculture, social sciences, and the arts. With a large and diverse student body, a wide variety of academic programs, and a strong commitment to innovation and entrepreneurship, Ohio State offers a rich and rewarding academic experience for students and faculty alike. From its origins as a land-grant university in the mid-19th century to its current position as a leading institution of higher education, Ohio State University has a long and distinguished history of academic excellence, research innovation, and community engagement. It continues to play a vital role in shaping the future of education, research, and innovation in Ohio and beyond.