The University of South Dakota is a public research university located in Vermillion, South Dakota. It was founded in 1862, making it the oldest public university in the state. Today, the university has a diverse student body of over 9,900 students and offers more than 200 academic programs.
USD is organized into six colleges: the College of Arts and Sciences, the Beacom School of Business, the College of Fine Arts, the School of Education, the School of Health Sciences, and the School of Law. The university also has a graduate school, offering a range of master’s and doctoral programs.
One of USD’s most notable programs is its medical school, the Sanford School of Medicine, which has a strong reputation for research and primary care education. The medical school has partnerships with several regional healthcare systems, providing students with hands-on experience in a variety of clinical settings. In addition to its academic programs, USD is also known for its athletics. The university is a member of the Summit League and competes in 17 NCAA Division I sports. The university’s mascot is a coyote, and the school colors are red and white.
Here are 33 interesting facts about the University of South Dakota to give us more information about the University of South Dakota.
- The University of South Dakota was founded in 1862, just two years after the Dakota Territory was established.
- USD is the oldest public university in South Dakota.
- The university is located in Vermillion, a small city in southeastern South Dakota.
- USD has over 9,900 students enrolled in its various programs.
- The university is organized into six colleges and a graduate school.
- USD has a strong reputation for its law and medical schools.
- The Sanford School of Medicine is known for its research and primary care education.
- USD’s law school has been ranked as one of the best in the nation.
- The university has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 states and over 100 countries.
- USD offers more than 200 academic programs, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees.
- The university has a student-to-faculty ratio of 16:1.
- USD has a campus in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, that offers several graduate programs.
- The university has a robust online learning program, with over 40 online programs available.
- USD’s mascot is a coyote, and the school colors are red and white.
- The university’s sports teams compete in the Summit League and NCAA Division I.
- USD has a strong tradition in basketball, with both the men’s and women’s teams having won several conference championships.
- The university’s football team has won several conference championships as well.
- USD has a marching band, concert band, and jazz band, all of which perform regularly on campus and in the community.
- The university has a strong theater program, with several productions each year.
- USD’s National Music Museum houses over 15,000 musical instruments from around the world.
- The university has a campus radio station, KAOR, which broadcasts locally and online.
- USD has a student-run newspaper, The Volante, which has been in operation since 1887.
- The university has a strong commitment to sustainability, with several green initiatives and LEED-certified buildings on campus.
- USD has a community engagement center that connects students with service opportunities in the surrounding area.
- The university’s Center for Academic and Global Engagement offers study abroad programs in over 50 countries.
- USD has a strong alumni network, with over 70,000 living alumni around the world.
- The university has a campus art gallery that features rotating exhibits from local and national artists.
- USD’s library houses over 1.2 million volumes, as well as several special collections.
- The university has several academic and social clubs and organizations for students to join.
- USD’s Honors Program offers a challenging and enriching academic experience for high-achieving students.
- The university has a wellness center that offers fitness classes, a swimming pool, and other amenities for students.
- USD has a strong research program, with several research centers and institutes on campus.
- The university has a unique program that allows students to design their own majors.
The University of South Dakota is a well-respected institution of higher learning that has a rich history and a strong commitment to academic excellence and community engagement. With its diverse student body, wide range of academic programs, and numerous opportunities for hands-on learning and research, USD offers students a comprehensive and rewarding educational experience. Whether students are interested in pursuing a degree in law, medicine, education, or any other field, they will find a supportive and inclusive community at USD that is dedicated to helping them achieve their goals and become successful, well-rounded individuals.