The University of South Alabama (USA) is a public research university located in Mobile, Alabama. It was founded in 1963 and has since grown to become a comprehensive university with over 15,000 students enrolled in its undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. The university has a diverse student body with students from all 50 states and over 75 countries.
USA offers over 100 academic programs through its nine colleges, including the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Education and Professional Studies, College of Engineering, College of Medicine, and College of Nursing. The university is also home to several research centers and institutes, including the Mitchell Cancer Institute, the Center for Sustainable Development, and the USA Archaeology Museum.
The university has a strong focus on research and is classified as a “high research activity” institution by the Carnegie Foundation. Its faculty and students conduct research in a variety of fields, including biomedical sciences, coastal and environmental sciences, and humanities and social sciences. USA is also a member of the University of Alabama System, which provides students with access to a wide range of resources and opportunities.
In addition to its academic and research programs, USA offers a variety of extracurricular activities, including over 200 student organizations, intramural sports, and a thriving Greek life community. The university also has a strong commitment to community service and encourages students to get involved in volunteer work and service learning projects. Overall, the University of South Alabama provides students with a well-rounded education and a wide range of opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Do you want to know more about the University of South Alabama? Let’s take a look at these 35 interesting facts about the University of South Alabama.
- The University of South Alabama was founded in 1963.
- USA is located in Mobile, Alabama, which is the oldest city in Alabama.
- USA is a public research university.
- The university is classified as a “high research activity” institution by the Carnegie Foundation.
- USA has a diverse student body with students from all 50 states and over 75 countries.
- The university has nine colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Education and Professional Studies, College of Engineering, College of Medicine, College of Nursing, School of Computing, School of Continuing Education and Special Programs, and School of Interdisciplinary Studies and Professional Development.
- USA offers over 100 academic programs.
- The university has over 15,000 students enrolled.
- USA has over 1,000 faculty members.
- The university has a student-to-faculty ratio of 19:1.
- USA’s mascot is a jaguar named SouthPaw.
- The university’s colors are red, white, and blue.
- USA is a member of the Sun Belt Conference.
- USA’s football team plays at Ladd-Peebles Stadium, which has a capacity of 33,471.
- USA’s Mitchell Cancer Institute is a leading cancer research center in the Gulf Coast region.
- The university’s Center for Healthy Communities provides health services to underserved populations in the region.
- USA’s Center for Archaeological Studies conducts research on the prehistoric and historic archaeology of the Gulf Coast region.
- USA’s Gulf Coast Research Laboratory conducts research on marine and coastal ecosystems.
- USA’s Coastal Weather Research Center studies weather patterns along the Gulf Coast.
- USA’s National Center for Asphalt Technology is a leading center for asphalt research and technology.
- USA’s School of Computing offers degree programs in computer science, information systems, and cybersecurity.
- USA’s College of Engineering has partnerships with several major engineering firms, including Airbus, Austal, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- USA’s College of Nursing has been ranked as one of the top nursing schools in the country by U.S. News & World Report.
- USA’s College of Medicine offers degree programs in medicine, biomedical sciences, and physician assistant studies.
- USA’s Department of Biology offers a marine sciences program that allows students to study marine ecosystems in the Gulf of Mexico.
- USA’s Department of Theatre and Dance offers degree programs in theatre, dance, and musical theatre.
- USA’s Department of Music offers degree programs in music performance, music education, and music therapy.
- USA’s Department of Art and Art History offers degree programs in art, graphic design, and art education.
- USA’s Mitchell Center for the Performing Arts hosts concerts, plays, and other cultural events.
- USA’s Student Recreation Center offers a variety of fitness and wellness programs for students, including intramural sports and fitness classes.
- USA’s International Education Office offers study abroad programs in over 50 countries.
- USA’s Baldwin County Campus offers degree programs in education, nursing, and business for students living in the eastern Gulf Coast region.
- USA’s campus features several art installations, including a sculpture garden and a mural by Mobile artist Casey Downing Jr.
- USA’s Student Government Association is the official voice of the student body.
- USA’s Honors College offers a challenging and engaging curriculum for high-achieving students.
The University of South Alabama is a dynamic and diverse institution that offers a wide range of academic programs, research opportunities, and extracurricular activities for students. With its location in historic Mobile, Alabama and its commitment to community engagement, USA provides a unique and enriching educational experience that prepares students for success in a rapidly changing world. Whether students are interested in the arts, sciences, business, healthcare, or any other field, USA offers the resources and support they need to achieve their goals and make a positive impact on society.