Loyola Marymount University (LMU) is a private Catholic research university located in Los Angeles, California. The university was founded in 1911 and is named after the Jesuit patron, St. Ignatius of Loyola, and Mary, the mother of Jesus. The university offers undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree programs across seven schools and colleges, including the Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts, the College of Business Administration, and the School of Film and Television.
LMU has a diverse student body of over 9,000 students from all 50 U.S. states and more than 80 countries. The university is committed to providing a comprehensive and well-rounded education that emphasizes the Jesuit values of academic excellence, service, and social justice. LMU’s core curriculum includes courses in the humanities, natural sciences, social sciences, and theology, designed to help students develop critical thinking and analytical skills.
LMU is also known for its strong athletic programs, particularly in basketball and volleyball. The university is a member of the NCAA Division I West Coast Conference and has won numerous championships and awards over the years. LMU is also home to a vibrant campus life, with over 100 student clubs and organizations, including Greek life, service clubs, and academic societies.
LMU has been consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the nation by various publications, including U.S. News & World Report, Forbes, and The Princeton Review. The university has a strong reputation for its academic programs, research, and community engagement, and is recognized as a leader in promoting social justice and sustainability.
Do you want to know more about Loyola Marymount University? Let’s take a look at these 35 interesting facts about Loyola Marymount University.
- Loyola Marymount University (LMU) was founded in 1911 as Loyola College.
- The university is named after St. Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuit order, and Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- LMU is a private Catholic research university located in Los Angeles, California.
- The university is home to over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students.
- The university’s motto is “Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam,” which means “For the Greater Glory of God” in Latin.
- LMU is one of 28 Jesuit universities in the United States.
- The university’s campus covers 142 acres in the Westchester neighborhood of Los Angeles.
- LMU has been designated a “Tree Campus USA” by the Arbor Day Foundation for its commitment to environmental sustainability.
- The university has seven schools and colleges, including the Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts, the College of Business Administration, and the School of Film and Television.
- LMU’s School of Education is ranked #1 in California and #7 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- The university’s School of Film and Television is consistently ranked among the top film schools in the country.
- LMU’s Loyola Law School is ranked #3 in the nation for Trial Advocacy by U.S. News & World Report.
- The university’s William H. Hannon Library is home to over 1 million volumes of books and other materials.
- LMU’s athletics teams are known as the Lions and compete in NCAA Division I.
- LMU has a strong tradition of basketball, with several former players going on to play in the NBA.
- LMU’s Marymount Institute for Faith, Culture, and the Arts hosts a variety of events and programs focused on the intersection of religion, culture, and the arts.
- The university’s Center for Ignatian Spirituality offers retreats and other spiritual programs for students, faculty, and staff.
- LMU’s Laband Art Gallery showcases contemporary art exhibitions and hosts a variety of educational programs and events.
- The university’s Burns Recreation Center offers a variety of fitness and recreational activities for students, faculty, and staff.
- LMU has a strong commitment to social justice and community engagement, with numerous programs and initiatives aimed at promoting equity and inclusion.
- The university’s Center for Service and Action offers a variety of service-learning programs and opportunities for students to engage with the local community.
- LMU’s Center for Urban Resilience promotes sustainability and resilience in urban environments.
- The university’s Bellarmine College of Liberal Arts offers a unique interdisciplinary program in Classical Studies.
- LMU has a vibrant student life, with over 100 student clubs and organizations, including Greek life, service clubs, and academic societies.
- The university’s Student Leadership and Development office offers a variety of leadership development programs and opportunities for students.
- LMU’s Student Psychological Services provides a range of mental health services and support for students.
- The university’s Career and Professional Development office offers career counseling, job search assistance, and other career-related services for students and alumni.
- LMU has a strong tradition of community service, with numerous service projects and initiatives organized by students, faculty, and staff.
- The university’s LMUfit program offers a variety of fitness and wellness programs for students, faculty, and staff.
- LMU’s Center for the Study of Los Angeles offers a variety of educational programs and initiatives focused on the history, culture, and social issues of the Los Angeles region.
- LMU’s Loyola Law School offers a unique Entertainment Law program, which includes courses in film, television, music, and sports law.
- The university’s Center for Asian Business offers a variety of programs and initiatives focused on business and economic relations between the United States and Asia.
- LMU’s Marital and Family Therapy program is ranked #1 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- The university’s School of Education offers a variety of programs and initiatives focused on urban education and social justice.
- LMU’s Center for Urban Resilience is home to a rooftop garden and apiary, which provides fresh produce and honey for the campus community.
Loyola Marymount University is a vibrant and dynamic Catholic research university that offers a wide range of academic programs, as well as numerous opportunities for community engagement, spiritual development, and personal growth. With a commitment to social justice, environmental sustainability, and cultural diversity, LMU is dedicated to educating students who are not only well-prepared for their chosen professions but also committed to making a positive difference in the world. As a leading institution of higher learning in the Los Angeles area and beyond, LMU is an excellent choice for students who are looking for a supportive and intellectually stimulating community in which to pursue their educational goals.