The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) is a renowned and innovative art and design institution located in Savannah, Georgia. Established in 1978, it has grown to become one of the most prestigious art and design schools in the United States and around the world. SCAD’s commitment to fostering creativity, artistic expression, and career readiness has made it a top choice for students seeking a transformative education in the arts.
SCAD offers a wide range of academic programs in various artistic disciplines, including fine arts, design, architecture, digital media, film and television, fashion, and more. The college provides undergraduate and graduate degrees that prepare students for successful careers in their chosen fields. SCAD is known for its cutting-edge facilities, state-of-the-art technology, and industry connections, ensuring that students have access to the tools and resources needed to thrive in the competitive world of art and design.
The campuses in Savannah, Atlanta, Hong Kong, and Lacoste, France, provide students with a global perspective and the opportunity to study abroad or participate in international programs. SCAD’s commitment to sustainability and environmental responsibility is evident in its initiatives and environmentally conscious campus designs.
As a cultural hub, SCAD hosts numerous exhibitions, events, and festivals, attracting renowned artists, designers, and scholars from all over the world. The college fosters a collaborative and diverse community where students are encouraged to explore their creative passions, engage in hands-on projects, and develop their unique artistic voices. With its rich history, unwavering dedication to artistic excellence, and global reach, the Savannah College of Art and Design continues to shape the future of the creative industries, producing graduates who make significant contributions to the world of art and design.
It’s a good idea to look at these 35 interesting facts about Savannah College of Art and Design to know more about it.
- Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) was founded in 1978 by Paula S. Wallace, Richard Rowan, and May Poetter as a non-profit institution dedicated to art and design education.
- The college has its main campus in Savannah, Georgia, and has expanded to include additional locations in Atlanta, Hong Kong, and Lacoste, France.
- SCAD is known for its distinctive historic campus in Savannah, featuring beautiful buildings, lush gardens, and a unique blend of Southern charm and artistic inspiration.
- The college offers a wide range of academic programs, including undergraduate and graduate degrees in various art and design disciplines.
- SCAD has a diverse student body, with students from all 50 U.S. states and over 100 countries.
- The college’s official mascot is Art the Bee, symbolizing the creativity and industriousness of SCAD students.
- SCAD is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- The college provides cutting-edge facilities and technology, including state-of-the-art studios, labs, and equipment tailored to specific art and design fields.
- SCAD has a strong focus on sustainability, with initiatives such as green building practices and environmentally conscious campus designs.
- The SCAD Museum of Art, located on the Savannah campus, features contemporary art exhibitions and serves as a cultural and educational resource for the community.
- The college’s School of Building Arts offers programs in architecture, interior design, and historic preservation.
- SCAD is home to SCAD eLearning, a robust online platform that allows students to pursue their degrees from anywhere in the world.
- The college has a close partnership with the entertainment industry, and SCAD graduates often find success in film, animation, and television.
- SCAD offers a variety of study abroad programs, allowing students to immerse themselves in global artistic and cultural experiences.
- The college hosts the annual SCAD Savannah Film Festival, attracting industry professionals and showcasing a wide range of films.
- SCAD fashion students have the opportunity to showcase their designs at the annual SCAD Fashion Show, a highly anticipated event in the fashion world.
- The college’s Writing program nurtures aspiring writers through workshops, readings, and literary events.
- SCAD’s SCADpad project explores sustainable urban living through innovative micro-housing solutions.
- The college’s School of Communication Arts emphasizes the importance of storytelling and visual communication.
- SCAD’s Illustration program prepares students for careers in editorial, advertising, and entertainment illustration.
- The college’s Animation program has a strong reputation for producing talented animators and artists.
- SCAD’s Jewelry program combines traditional craftsmanship with contemporary design.
- The college’s School of Design offers programs in industrial design, interior design, and furniture design.
- SCAD offers scholarships and financial aid opportunities to help make art and design education accessible to all.
- The college’s User Experience (UX) Design program prepares students for careers in digital and interactive design.
- SCAD’s sequential art program focuses on storytelling through comics, graphic novels, and visual narratives.
- The college’s Photography program provides students with access to cutting-edge photographic equipment and facilities.
- SCAD’s Illustration Design program combines illustration with graphic design principles.
- The college’s Visual Effects program prepares students for careers in the film and entertainment industry.
- SCAD has a strong commitment to community engagement and social responsibility.
- The college’s Hong Kong location offers an exciting opportunity for students to experience the intersection of Eastern and Western artistic influences.
- SCAD’s Lacoste, France, campus provides a unique setting for artistic exploration in the heart of Provence.
- The college’s AccessAbility program provides support services for students with disabilities.
- SCAD’s alumni network includes successful professionals in various creative industries, including film, fashion, design, and fine arts.
- With its rich history, dedication to creativity, and global reach, the Savannah College of Art and Design continues to be a leading institution for nurturing the talents and passions of artists and designers worldwide, shaping the future of the creative industries.
The Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) stands as a beacon of creativity, innovation, and artistic excellence, inspiring the next generation of artists and designers to transform their passions into meaningful careers. With its diverse student body, cutting-edge facilities, and global reach, SCAD continues to set the standard for art and design education. Whether on its historic Savannah campus, in the dynamic city of Atlanta, among the vibrant streets of Hong Kong, or nestled in the picturesque landscapes of Lacoste, France, SCAD provides students with an unparalleled opportunity to explore their creative potential. As a cultural force and a dynamic hub for artistic expression, SCAD not only shapes the careers of its graduates but also leaves an indelible mark on the ever-evolving landscape of art and design worldwide.