The University of South Florida (USF) is a public research university located in Tampa, Florida. It was founded in 1956 as a state-supported institution and is now one of the largest universities in the United States, with more than 49,000 students enrolled across its campuses.
USF offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including more than 180 majors and concentrations. The university has 14 colleges and schools, including the College of Arts and Sciences, the Muma College of Business, and the College of Education, among others. USF is also known for its strong programs in health sciences, including the Morsani College of Medicine and the College of Nursing.
USF is a research-intensive university, with more than $568 million in annual research expenditures. It is classified as a “Doctoral University: Very High Research Activity” by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. USF is home to a number of research centers and institutes, including the Florida Center for Cybersecurity, the Global Center for Applied Health Research, and the Patel College of Global Sustainability.
USF is committed to providing its students with a well-rounded education and a range of opportunities for personal and professional growth. The university has a number of student organizations and clubs, as well as athletic teams that compete at the NCAA Division I level. USF also has a strong commitment to community engagement, with programs and initiatives that aim to address local and global challenges and make a positive impact on society.
There are many interesting facts about the University of South Florida. Let’s talk about 47 of those facts.
- USF was founded in 1956 as the first independent state university in Florida.
- The university has three campuses: Tampa, St. Petersburg, and Sarasota-Manatee.
- The Tampa campus is the largest and main campus, covering 1,913 acres.
- USF is a member of the State University System of Florida.
- USF has over 49,000 students enrolled across its three campuses.
- The university is classified as an R1 research university, meaning it has the highest level of research activity.
- The USF Bulls compete in NCAA Division I athletics.
- The school colors are green and gold.
- The mascot is Rocky the Bull.
- The university has 14 colleges and schools.
- The USF Health program includes the Morsani College of Medicine, College of Nursing, College of Public Health, and College of Pharmacy.
- The USF College of Engineering is ranked in the top 50 public engineering schools in the country.
- The university’s campus in St. Petersburg is located on the waterfront and has its own beach.
- The university’s library system has over 2 million volumes.
- USF has over 600 student organizations.
- The university is home to the USF Contemporary Art Museum.
- The USF Herd of Thunder marching band has over 300 members.
- USF has a student-run radio station, WUSF.
- The university has over 4,000 international students from 145 countries.
- USF is a designated Hispanic-Serving Institution.
- The university has over 1,000 full-time faculty members.
- The USF Sun Dome is a multipurpose arena on campus that seats over 10,000 people.
- USF has a partnership with the Moffitt Cancer Center, one of the top cancer centers in the country.
- The university is home to the Patel College of Global Sustainability, which focuses on sustainable development.
- USF offers a range of online degree programs.
- The university’s Center for Entrepreneurship offers resources and support for students and alumni who want to start their own businesses.
- USF has a strong commitment to sustainability, with initiatives such as recycling, water conservation, and energy efficiency.
- The USF College of Education is ranked in the top 100 education schools in the country.
- The university has a program called Bulls Against Bullying, which aims to raise awareness about bullying and promote kindness and respect.
- USF has a partnership with the U.S. Central Command, located nearby at MacDill Air Force Base.
- The university has a Student Government Association that represents the student body and advocates for their interests.
- USF has a Division of Student Success that provides resources and support to help students succeed academically and personally.
- The university has a Center for Leadership and Civic Engagement that promotes leadership development and community engagement.
- USF has a Honors College that offers special programs and opportunities for academically talented students.
- The university’s Center for Autism and Related Disabilities provides resources and support for individuals with autism spectrum disorders.
- USF has a Veterans Success Center that provides resources and support for veterans and military-connected students.
- The university has a Confucius Institute that promotes Chinese language and culture.
- USF has a campus-wide wireless network.
- The university has a Student Health Services center that provides medical and mental health care to students.
- USF has a campus shuttle service that connects the three campuses.
- The university has a First-Year Experience program that helps new students adjust to college life.
- The university has a strong commitment to sustainability and has been recognized as one of the greenest campuses in the country.
- USF is home to the USF Contemporary Art Museum, which features rotating exhibitions of modern and contemporary art.
- The USF College of Marine Science is located on the waterfront in St. Petersburg, Florida, and is home to a fleet of research vessels.
- The USF Bulls athletic teams compete in NCAA Division I and are members of the American Athletic Conference.
- The USF football team plays their home games at Raymond James Stadium, which is also the home of the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- USF has a partnership with the Moffitt Cancer Center, one of the top cancer centers in the country, to advance research and improve patient care.
The University of South Florida is a vibrant and dynamic institution of higher education that offers a wide range of academic programs and opportunities for students to engage in research, service, and leadership. With a commitment to sustainability, diversity, and community engagement, USF is a leader in many fields, from healthcare and business to arts and sciences. Its world-class faculty and innovative programs attract students from around the globe, who benefit from the university’s excellent resources and supportive community. Whether pursuing a degree in one of its many fields of study or engaging in extracurricular activities, USF students are encouraged to think critically, challenge the status quo, and make a positive impact in their communities and the world at large.